Friday, May 22, 2009

Reality Check

On Today's Menu: Necessities. 


The reality of my summer ambitions is beginning to sink in. As each day comes another piece of the puzzle materializes before my eyes. I can actually feel them widening with every tick of the clock, providing excellent accompaniment to my increasing blood pressure. I have determined that it is one thing to sit around dreaming, while it is quite another to actually pursue those dreams. As for me, at this point in my journey I am seeing all the things I have been working towards since last September come together. I have entered into a phase I like to call the "Survival Stage" during which I am: 1) gathering all the necessary material items I will need over the summer 2) gaining more confidence in my Spanish speaking abilities and 3) preparing myself mentally for what is to come (well, as much as one can prepare for the unexpected). Here's what I have come up with so far:


Understanding I am not on vacation: The whole reason I am going on this trip is TO LEARN. I will have CLASSES. I will be attending UNIVERSITY. I say this as a reminder to myself...everyone keeps telling me to have a great trip, to be sure to go here and spend a day there and just have fun! Appreciate the well wishes, but seriously, Leah. You will be in class five days a week for five to six hours a day. Stop thinking of this as an extended vacation and remember you are actually there to learn something.


The Spanish-Only plan: Cassie and I came up with a plan to get together every week and practice conversational Spanish; in other words we will talk about everyday things like: ordering at a restaurant, buying toothpaste, asking how much a train ticket costs, asking where my classroom is...all the necessities. I'm a visual learner, so I bought Barron's "Spanish Visual Language Guide" so that I can "learn with pictures." Very elementary, I know, but I think it will prove effective. I'll let you know.


Communication: Yesterday I received my international cell phone through the mail. API (Academic Programs International) has a contract with Piccell Wireless, an international phone company designed for study abroad students, which allows me my very own cell phone for the duration of my trip. I've been reading through said contract and I discovered that I can receive incoming calls from anywhere in the world for free! However, I can't call out for free, nor can I text. The exchange rates are unbelievably high.


✓ I decided on an Apple: "Once you go Mac, you never go back." That's what the sales guy told me when I purchased a brand new, shiny white MacBook to take with me this summer. Originally I had not planned on taking a computer with me. However, upon further consideration, I decided that a computer might be necessary should I have assignments such as papers, etc. According to the packet of info API sent me, universities in Spain typically do not have computer labs. Most students go to internet cafes or they have their own personal computer.


✓ Since we are talking about Macs: My computer has a DVD player, so for a while I considered taking a few movies and/or TV shows with me for entertainment purposes while I am waiting around in the airports and such. (I have some astoundingly long layovers). However, I didn't want to take up extra space in my carry on bag so I decided to forgo the thought. That's when I remembered iTunes. Oh, iTunes...sigh. There are so many movies and shows available for download. I'm considering loading a few onto my computer...but there are so many options I can't decide which ones to load. Any recommendations?


✓ What not to wear: API has made it very clear that we should not wear the typical American student uniform - athletic sweatpants, college tee shirt, flip flops, and a messy head of hair pulled back into an even messier pony tail. You know, that "just rolled out of bed, I guess I'll go to class, leave me alone" look. Seeing as I have never dressed in such a way in my entire life, I think I will be alright with what I have. All I need to remember is that it averages 100 degrees in southern Spain, so I can leave my winter coat at home.


✓ Putting one foot in front of the other: I like to think ahead. I like to know what to expect and how to best prepare for it. In this situation I have no idea what is coming or what I need to be ready for it. This as a gigantic leap of faith for me...and I am slowly learning that "leaping" comes one step at a time. It is a lesson in trust. A development of steadfast faith. And a miraculous thing to be a part of.

1 comment:

  1. Okay, this is a first for me...I've never posted a comment on a blog site. I just wanted to let you know that your thoughts are interesting and entertaining. I'm ready to practice some more...let me know.

    ReplyDelete