Monday, May 4, 2009

Derby Afterthoughts

On Today's Menu: The Hat Parade

I don't know a thing about horses. I know even less about horse racing. However, every May I faithfully set aside two minutes of my life, assume my role as a proud Kentuckian, and anxiously watch as twenty peculiarly named horses make their Run for the Roses. It's all part of the Kentucky experience. It's our culture. Our claim to fame. My favorite part comes the day after; when the media begins picking apart the apparel of the rich and famous who paid sickening amounts of money on horrifying, over sized hats and two minutes of trepidation. I fully believe that these attendees intentionally select the most hideous hats available so that they may go down in history as members of the coveted "Hat Parade" and may even land themselves on the front page of the Lexington Herald Leader or Louisville's Courier Journal. I saw this parade on line and I think I found my favorite adornment thus far....



Amazing isn't it? That takes some kind of guts. Ah, Kentucky Derby culture...gotta love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment